Smash Repairs in Canberra
Smash Repairs: Panel Beater Services in Canberra
We can’t turn back time, but we can return your car to pre-accident condition.
Take the worry out of an accident and call Autoco. Your car will be repaired to the manufacturers’ standards and we’ll even arrange a tow truck and a hire car.
Autoco Smash Repairs is a recommended repairer for a number of prominent insurance companies. Our workshop is fitted out with the latest in painting, welding and frame adjustment equipment.
We guarantee your car will look as good as it did before the accident.
Our resources and infrastructure give us the capability of repairing up to 60 vehicles a week, so you’ll be back on the road quickly, without having to wait weeks for a booking.
You will always receive competitively priced quotes from Autoco, we use the highest quality equipment and all parts are installed by expert mechanics. No added extras, no nasty surprises. Our reputation rests on our ability to provide you with the highest quality smash repair service.
And the team? The best in the business, working to get you back behind the wheel of your car.
- 10 qualified panel beaters
- 5 qualified painters
- 4 full time office staff
- 2 quality control foremen
- 4 apprentices
- 1 experienced car detailer
- 24 hour on-call towing service
How we return your car to pre-accident condition: the Autoco Smash Repair process
No-one likes being without their car. Autoco are committed to returning your car to you as quickly as possible, as good as new.
Stage 1 – Organising the Repairs
Before work can begin we need to liaise with the insurance company, obtain approvals, source parts and prepare a work schedule. We make sure everything is ready before we start, so you’re off the road for as little time as possible.
- After we have quoted the damage to your car we prepare an estimate detailing parts and labour, which is sent to the insurance company for approval. Please note that if you do not have an insurance claim number (you will not be organising your repairs through an insurer) than we are required to charge a flat rate of $165.
- The insurance company assesses the cost of repairs and confirms acceptance of the estimate.
- Parts, if needed, are ordered from suppliers throughout Australia, sometimes overseas. Replacement parts include genuine, recycled or aftermarket.
- Your car will be scheduled in for repairs and an estimated completion date given.
- Once delivered to us, your car will be disassembled and re-inspected for any unseen damage not visible at the time of quote.
- If further damage is revealed, a supplement quote and photographs are provided to the insurance company for approval before proceeding.
- Additional parts are then ordered if necessary.
- Throughout the course of repairs Autoco will inform you of any unforeseen problems should they arise
Stage 2 – Panel Repair
This is when the repair to the body and structure of your car really starts, with meticulous attention to detail, ensuring your car is back to mint condition when it returns to you.
- If your vehicle requires extensive chassis rail repairs, it is set up on a Car-o-Liner, which is a measuring system designed to assist in repairing your car back to factory specifications.
- Panels are repaired, trial fitted and tested for alignment.
- All repair work is inspected and approved prior to the paint process.
Stage 3 – Painting
A great paint finish takes time but the results are well worth it, and always faultless, your car will look as good as new.
- To eliminate overspray we carefully cover the panels not being painted.
- The repaired or replaced panels are cleaned and a primer is applied to seal and protect from corrosion.
- Panels are placed under infrared drying lamps.
- When fully cured the primer is sanded.
- Paint colour is matched to existing panels and mixed.
- The car and necessary parts are placed in the spray booth and painted with adequate curing and drying times between coats.
- Three coats of paint are applied – base, top and clear finish.
- When the paint has fully cured, it is removed from the spray booth, polished and de-nibbed for an even smoother surface, ready for assembly.
Stage 4 – Assembly
Your car is now ready to be reassembled back in the workshop.
Stage 5 – Quality and Safety Checks
Your car is looking great but we need to make sure it is safe to drive. The safety needs of your car will depend on the type of accident and repair work undertaken (e.g. a wheel alignment or test drive).
This is followed by a quality check and approved by our Quality Assessor.
We pride ourselves on our quality of service and repair. We make every effort to ensure there are minimum disruptions and delays, and keep you informed of any change to the date of collection. You’ll never wonder how your car repair is going, because we’ll keep you so well updated.
Our goal is to keep the disruption to your life to a minimum.
How You Can Help When Your Car Is Being Repaired
For a smooth drop off and pick up, you can help by:
- Removing all personal items from the car, including the boot. Autoco will not be responsible for any items that are lost or damaged;
- Checking that your car has sufficient fuel to move around the yard and test drive if necessary.
- Confirming with us any further services – car servicing, auto electrical, private repairs or touch up paint. We will always provide you with a quote for your approval before commencing any additional work;
- Leaving your vehicle with us between 8.00 am – 8.30 am on your vehicles arrival date;
- Verifying if there is an excess or any other amount outstanding. Your car cannot be released if there is any money owing;
- Picking your car up by 5.00 pm, unless other arrangements have been made.
We also have our own hire car service, for further information please ask our Customer Service Manager.